If You Liked That, Why Not Try This?
Cast your mind back to the last wine you really enjoyed. Was it the aromas or the taste that hooked you? Did it have a full body that grabbed your attention or acidity levels that made you salivate?
Many of us have had a glass of wine so good that the memory of it sticks with us but recreating that experience and finding something similar can be a challenge. That’s why WSET put together this short guide to give you some examples of similar styles and grape varieties so you can continue to seek out memorable wines that fit your taste preferences. Learn more.
Important Grape Varieties of the World
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is the perfect wine course for anyone wishing to learn about a wide range of grapes and styles, as well as those seeking to build on the introductory knowledge gained with the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines. You’ll gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world, the regions in which they are grown and the styles of wine they produce.
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
- Pinot Grigio/Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- The style and quality of wines:
- Made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- Produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
Upon successful completion of a 50-question multiple-choice exam, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines – IWEG
Date: Saturdays, October 22nd – November 5th at 9:30am – 4:30pm
Date: Saturdays, November 19th – December 3rd at 9:30am – 4:30pm
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines – Prince Edward County
Date: Tuesdays, October 18th – December 6th at 5pm – 7pm
Drink Chile 2022 – Wines of Chile Trading Tasting
Wines of Chile and the Trade Commission of Chile (ProChile) present their annual Grand Trade Tasting and celebration of wine and food in Toronto taking place on Tuesday, November 8th at Arcadian Loft.
An outstanding set of 25 wineries bring Toronto more than 150 wines for this tasting, many of which are new wines to the market not available in Ontario. Sample innovative wines from Chile’s best regions while meeting winemakers and enjoying food pairings created by Oliver & Bonacini.
The event includes a trade seminar with host John Szabo, MS and Amanda Barnes, author of South America Wine Guide at 11:30am – 1pm.
Please register for the seminar separately from the walk around tasting. Seating is limited.