2023 applications are now closed.
IWEG is pleased to partner with the LCBO Spirit of Sustainability on The Spirit of Inclusion Initiative, a program designed to create opportunities for diverse women to enter, advance and thrive in the beverage alcohol industry.
The LCBO will work with IWEG to disperse 20 scholarships to diverse women enrolled in beverage alcohol programs.
Funding from The Spirit of Inclusion Initiative will support diverse women who are beginning or continuing their education in the following in-class and online beverage alcohol certification programs at IWEG:
- WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
- WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits
- WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
- WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits
How to apply
1. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Canada and of legal drinking age in Ontario, aged 19 years old or older.
2. Applicants must describe how they identify as a woman (examples include, but are not limited to the following):
- Woman of Colour
- Indigenous Woman
- Other (please identify)
3. Applicants may only apply if they have never taken and are not currently enrolled in a beverage alcohol certification course or program.
4. Applicants may only apply on their own behalf. Scholarships are not transferrable to another person.
5. Applicants may not apply for multiple scholarships and only one application per applicant will be accepted for review.
Applicants may apply for a scholarship for their preferred beverage alcohol certification program by confidentially emailing IWEG’s Program Administrator, Anne Theunissen at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- A copy of a driver’s license or photo identification, which clearly states date of birth.
- How they identify as a woman.
- Confirm they have never taken and are not currently enrolled in a beverage alcohol certification course or program.
- The beverage alcohol certification program they are applying for.
- A brief, personal statement describing why they wish to enroll in the program.
Applications will be reviewed within 7 to 10 business days in conjunction with IWEG’s Education Director, and successful applicants will be notified in writing.
All application information is confidential and will not be used by IWEG for any other purpose other than the evaluation of eligibility for the award of scholarships.
Please note that (i) IWEG reserves the right to confirm the veracity of applications and (ii) due to the volume of potential applications, applicants who have not been awarded a scholarship will not receive a written confirmation.
All scholarship decisions made by IWEG are final and are subject to the availability of scholarships.
For questions regarding the scholarship program, please contact IWEG’s Program Administrator, Anne Theunissen at email@example.com.
Spirit of Inclusion Initiative
The LCBO is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion within the beverage alcohol industry and creating communities where individuals have equitable access to the essential resources needed to live happy and healthy lives. That’s why in March 2021, they created The Spirit of Inclusion Initiative, a program designed to create opportunities for diverse women to enter, advance and thrive in the beverage alcohol industry
Through Good Partnerships with Ontario education institutions, charitable organizations, and trade partners, the initiative will work to identify and remove systemic barriers for diverse women in the industry. The Spirit of Inclusion Initiative works with Good Partners to provide bursaries and scholarships, facilitate mentorship relationships, and identify paid co-op placements for diverse women who are looking to begin or advance their careers in the winery, brewery, and distillery fields. Learn more about the program.